[Distutils] PEP 517 - is it ready?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 02:38:18 EDT 2017

On 11 September 2017 at 20:36, Thomas Kluyver <thomas at kluyver.me.uk> wrote:
> Discussion on PEP 517 seems to have settled down, and I believe that
> Nick said he was about ready to accept it. Is everyone involved
> satisfied with the current state? Or is there anything else you think
> should be considered before accepting it?
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0517/

I've heard back off-list from the folks I was waiting to hear from, and I'm very
happy to say that I'm provisionally accepting PEP 517, as defined in
https://www.pypa.io/en/latest/specifications/#provisional-acceptance

That means folks are now free to go start updating the reference
tooling based on the PEP, but for the time being, we reserve the right
to make further changes to the specification based on our real world
experience with those initial implementations.

Thank you Thomas and Nathanial for your persistence in working through
all the feedback received on the proposal, and thus enabling a
significant step forward for the overall Python packaging ecosystem :)

Cheers,
Nick.