[Distutils] What's the use case of testpypi?

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Tue Oct 31 09:09:34 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017, at 12:49 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Do the two share enough common code for successful uploading to a
> devpi instance to be indicative of whether PyPI will accept or
> reject on the grounds of, e.g., invalid trove classifiers (this one
> in particular has been the most common preventable but otherwise
> untestable upload failure our community encounters).

It's feasible for tools to test this before upload. Flit does this. If
anyone wants to adapt the code to use in other tools, it's here:

https://github.com/takluyver/flit/blob/ca081197df229a0df07e98c6dece13e62e2bdcd1/flit/inifile.py#L63-L108

It's definitely useful to have a testing site based on the same code as
PyPI, but I hope that with smarter tools, building invalid packages
should be less common.

Thomas