[Distutils] Wheel 1.0 roadmap

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 17:01:30 EDT 2017

REQ: feedback re: "Remove or deprecate wheel signing features #196"
https://github.com/pypa/wheel/issues/196

Is the current implementation incomplete without signature verification?
According to the spec?

```
The spec includes this feature. So, even though this verify() function is
incomplete, it would be wrong to just remove it without also removing it
from the spec.

- https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0427/#signed-wheel-files
- https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0491/#signed-wheel-files

I don't have the information needed to explain what completely implemented
signatures are useful for. Does the spec explain this?

> A wheel installer is not required to understand digital signatures but
MUST verify the hashes in RECORD against the extracted file contents. When
the installer checks file hashes against RECORD, a separate signature
checker only needs to establish that RECORD matches the signature.
```