[Distutils] Entry points: specifying and caching

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 03:27:01 EDT 2017

On 21 October 2017 at 05:26, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

> I would also like to compare the performance of a few approaches
> (1 file per sys.path hash using INI, JSON, and sqlite; one file per
> entry on sys.path using the same formats) using a significant number
> of plugins (~100?) before we decide.

If you can manage it, you'll want to run at least some of those tests with
the plugins and their metadata mounted via a network drive. When the import
system switched from multiple stat calls to cached os.listdir() lookups,
SSD and spinning disk imports received a minor speedup, but NFS imports
improved *dramatically* (folks reported order of magnitude improvements,
along the lines of startup times dropping from 2-3 seconds to 200-300 ms).

I'd expect to see a similar pattern here - inefficient file access patterns
can be tolerable with an SSD, and even spinning disks, but the higher
latency involved in accessing network drives will make you pay for it.

Cheers,
Nick.