[Distutils] Entry points: specifying and caching

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Fri Oct 20 08:30:05 EDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017, at 01:18 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
> I guess we shouldn’t have done PEP 517 or PEP 518 because, by your
> logic here, since it won’t be supported by existing tooling, there
> won’t be any incentive for people to use it ever.
I see this as having a similar purpose to those PEPs: reducing
dependence on setuptools. The difference is that for building packages,
pip explicitly uses setuptools, so the practical way forward was to
define an alternative to achieve the same ends. For this, the existing
mechanism does not directly rely on setuptools, so it's sufficient to
document it so that other tools can confidently produce and consume it.
I also get annoyed at times by arguments that it's not worth improving
something because it will be a long time before the change is useful.
But I don't think that's what Nick is saying here.
Thomas