[Distutils] ANNOUNCE: Sunsetting of uploading to the legacy PyPI/TestPyPI

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 21:38:53 EDT 2017

On 25 June 2017 at 01:18, Randy Syring <randy at thesyrings.us> wrote:
> For what it's worth, for the projects that are almost ready to recommend,
> but not quite there (like Flit per the discussion on issue 336), would it
> hurt to have an "provisional" area to the key projects list that makes
> people aware of the projects without "blessing" them as Key Projects.  The
> whole point of that section of the guide is to raise awareness, yes?  Well
> if something like Flit is almost ready, but pending for a small reason or
> two, why not publish it anyway with some kind of "provision" label or
> something and an explanation of why the project is important, but not quite
> yet ready?

The key projects list is already aimed more at folks wanting to dive
into the details of how PyPA and the Python packaging ecosystem
actually work in practice (e.g. packaging and distlib are both listed,
and those are really only relevant to folks writing their own
packaging related tools).

The "definitely relevant to end users" list is the one at
https://packaging.python.org/guides/tool-recommendations/ (and after
discussing the idea with Thomas, we're not going to add flit there
until after its 1.0 release)

Cheers,
Nick.