[Distutils] Malicious packages on PyPI

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Thu Jun 1 20:15:59 EDT 2017

Or start doing signed pgp for package maintainers and build a transitive
trust model.

On Jun 1, 2017 8:14 PM, wrote:

Force packages to match their higher level import namespace in future major
Python versions and PEP it.

On Jun 1, 2017 7:37 PM, "Noah Kantrowitz" <noah at coderanger.net> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2017, at 4:00 PM, Nick Timkovich <prometheus235 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This issue was also brought up in January at https://github.com/pypa/pypi-
legacy/issues/585 then just as after the initial "typosquatting PyPI"
report (June 2016) it's met with resounding silence. Attacking the
messenger doesn't seem like a winning move from a security standpoint.

> Can we come up with a plan to address the underlying issue and protect
users?

If you have a systemic solution I'm sure we would love to hear it :)

--Noah

Distutils-SIG maillist  -  Distutils-SIG at python.org