[Distutils] PyPi’s predictable download url

Nick Timkovich prometheus235 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 15:33:17 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Aleks Bunin <b at enlnt.com> wrote:

>  I’m writing installation instructions for a package and have a question:
> what is the correct predictable URL for the package?

I would guess you need to start from the API (e.g.
https://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPIJSON) and go wherever it says.

If writing your own automated thing, you could access the API yourself, or
just delegate it to pip. For user-facing instructions, I would highly
suggest having them do "pip install X" rather than have them download a
tarball, extract it, find and run setup.py. If you want to pin it at a
version, you can do something like:

pip install "virtualenv==15.1.0"
pip install "django>=1.11,<1.12" # for a range of versions

Nick