[Distutils] distlib and wheel metadata

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Thu Feb 23 17:31:37 EST 2017

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2017, at 4:51 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me> wrote:
>
> The distlib solver would bind up from impossible constraints, yet every
> time, pip found a way to "power through" the exact same configuration
> despite blatantly incompatible metadata at times. I never looked into it
> further on pip's side (though probably someone here can confirm/deny this)
> but I suspect poor metadata is more widespread than pip makes visible.
>

> <1% of projects or files using == suggests to me that there is very few
> people using == incorrectly.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the bigger problem was version-less reqs eagerly
selecting a version (eg. latest) incompatible with later requirements
provided by a different package, but then treating them as hard reqs by
that point. I'll defer to you on how pip deals with things today.

I'll try to resurface a concrete example. I know for certain pip at that
time (circa 2015) was capable of installing a set of packages where the
dependency information was not solvent, because I pointed it out to my team
(I actually think python-dateutil was involved for that one, mentioned in
another post).

I would agree though, "==" is way way less widespread than no version at
all.

--

C Anthony