[Distutils] distlib and wheel metadata

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 18:12:57 EST 2017

> Managing backwards compatibility is probably the single most important thing we can do here.
> There are almost 800,000 files on PyPI that someone can download and install, telling all
> of them they need to switch to some new system or things are going to break for them is
> simply not tenable.

I agree. But if packaging is going at some point to break out of allowing completely bespoke
code to run at installation time (i.e. executable code like a free-for-all setup.py, vs.
something declarative and thus more restrictive) then IMO you have to sacrifice 100% backwards

compatibility. See my comment in my other post about the ability to install old releases -
I made that a goal of my experiments with the parallel metadata, to not require anything other
than a declarative setup() in order to be able to install stuff using just the metadata, so that
nobody has to switch anything in a big-bang style, but could transition over to a newer system
at their leisure.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip