[Distutils] PEP 517 again

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leorochael at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 17:12:30 EDT 2017

On 25 August 2017 at 18:02, xoviat <xoviat at gmail.com> wrote:

> While we're waiting for others to respond, what are we going to do with
> respect to the sys.path issue? I don't think there has been discussion on
> that yet.

There was plenty of discussion. The summary is:

 - removing srcdir from sys.path requires explicitly removing "" from the
head of sys.path, which is not normally done.
 - it would break many setuptools based projects, probably forcing the
setuptools backend to reinsert it, defeating the purpose of removing it in
the first place.
 - if any backend launches a python based subprocess (on top of the one
already launched by the frontend for calling the backend), "" goes right
back to the head of sys.path, defeating the purpose of removing it in the
first place
 - it will make it impossible for packages to carry or be their own
backends, which is an important usecase for the backend packages themselves
and for complex setups

conspicuously absent from the discussion was an actual decision on whether
to remove or just document the presence of srcdir on sys.path.

Cheers,

Leo