[Distutils] Which commercial vendor?

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 20:34:17 EDT 2017

On Thursday, April 6, 2017, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','ncoghlan at gmail.com');>> wrote:
>

>> PayPal Engineering put together a decent write-up of their path
>> towards adopting that model last year:
>> https://www.paypal-engineering.com/2016/09/07/python-packaging-at-paypal/
>

> Thanks for that link.

+1

> We're a much smaller shop, but have had pretty much the same experience --
> also really good to see them mention miniconda at the end -- I think that's
> a much better way to go for most folks than the whole Anaconda pile.
>
> It's definitely a reasonable way to go for organisational
>> infrastructure, but even conda doesn't cover all the potential use
>> cases that are out there
>

> of course not -- nothing does, but I would add to the contents of that
> post:
>
> The conda-forge project is a Major boon to the conda infrastructure --
> there is now a robust way for the community to expand the available number
> of packages (and keep up more recent versions). And anyone can take
> advantage of that infrastructure for their own (selfish?) needs:
>
> Chances are, there will be a package or two that you rely on that is not
> in conda defaults (maintained by Continuum) or currently in conda-forge. So
> you can pip-install those few -- but what if they aren't on PyPi either? or
> are hard to compile and install with ugly dependencies?  You can contribute
> build recipes to conda-forge, and then have it for you, and all your users,
> and the rest of the world to access. Much better than hand maintaining
> stuff yourself.

Someone still needs to commit to maintaining the conda package; otherwise
who knows whether this is the latest  stable  release?

> My pain point now is still full multi-platform support. conda has package
> versions that are platform independent, but it can still be hard to get
> everything built  in the same version on all platforms, so it does get a
> bit ugly.

Docker images are reproducible and archivable:

https://github.com/ContinuumIO/docker-images
-
https://github.com/ContinuumIO/docker-images/blob/master/miniconda3/Dockerfile
-
https://github.com/ContinuumIO/docker-images/blob/master/anaconda3/Dockerfile

https://github.com/jupyter/docker-stacks
-
https://github.com/jupyter/docker-stacks/blob/master/README.md#visual-overview
-
https://github.com/jupyter/docker-stacks/blob/master/base-notebook/Dockerfile
  - a diff miniconda setup

-
https://github.com/jupyter/docker-stacks/blob/master/base-notebook/Dockerfile.ppc64le
  - ARMv would be cool too (e.g. for raspberry pi)

https://github.com/Kaggle/docker-python
- https://github.com/Kaggle/docker-python/blob/master/Dockerfile
  - everything and the kitchen sink

What platforms does conda-forge auto-build for?
- [x] x86[-64]
- [ ] linux-armv7l
  - https://github.com/conda-forge/conda-forge.github.io/issues/269