[Distutils] Current Python packaging status (from my point of view)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 02:36:43 EDT 2016

On 4 November 2016 at 03:56, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> But - it would be a huge help if the PSF could help with funding to
> get mingw-w64 working.  This is the crucial blocker for progress on
> binary wheels on Windows.

Such a grant was already awarded earlier this year by way of the
Scientific Python Working Group (which is a collaborative funding
initiative between the PSF and NumFocus):
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/scientific/2016-January/000271.html

However, we hadn't received a status update by the time I stepped down
from the Board, although it sounds like progress hasn't been good if
folks aren't even aware that the grant was awarded in the first place.

Regards,
Nick.