[Distutils] moving things forward (was: wheel including files it shouldn't)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri May 6 12:15:42 EDT 2016

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> The "Python-with-imports" case is the status quo with setup.py, and we
> already know that's a pain because you need to set up an environment
> that already has the right dependencies installed to enable your
> module level imports in order to run the script and find out what
> dependencies you need to install to let you run the script in the
> first place.

good point -- this is really key.

The "Python-without-imports" approach would just be confusing -

I agree -- I never suggested that -- it's full python or fully declarative.

> So rather than saying "the bootstrapping dependency declaration file
> is Python-but-not-really", it's easier to say "it's an ini-file format
> that can be parsed with the configparser module" or "it's JSON" (I'm
> ruling out any options that don't have a stdlib parser in Python 2.7)

Last time, I promise :-)

"python literals" is perfectly well defined -- both by the language
reference, and by "can be parsed by ast.literal_eval"

and it addresses the limitations of JSON and is fully declarative.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov