[Distutils] Basic Markdown Readme Support

Jim Fulton jim at jimfulton.info
Tue May 3 09:29:40 EDT 2016

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Fred Drake <fred at fdrake.net> wrote:
> My perspective, for what it's worth, is that while I find Markdown a
> horrible pain,

But wait, it's worse. Unlike ReStructuredText, there's no Markdown standard.

In my last job, I had to use a suite of tools (from a single company
that I won't name but is easy to guess :) )  for which no 2 tools used
the same dialect of Markdown. :(

> So while I'm all for encouraging developers to prefer
> reStructuredText, I'm in favor of supporting Markdown as a
> long_description format. The format for a README file just doesn't
> seem such a big deal that alienating potential community members is
> worth it.

Which begs the question, which dialect of Markdown are you suggesting
we support. :)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton