[Distutils] Request for comment: Proposal to change behaviour of pip install

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 14:59:17 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:32 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2016, at 6:25 AM, Pradyun Gedam <pradyunsg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There is currently a proposal to change the behaviour to pip install to
> upgrade a package that is passed even if it is already installed.
>
> This behaviour change is accompanied with a change in the upgrade strategy -
> pip would stop “eagerly” upgrading dependencies and would become more
> conservative, upgrading a dependency only when it doesn’t meet lower
> constraints of the newer version of a parent. Moreover, the behaviour of pip
> install --target would also be changed so that --upgrade no longer affects
> it.
>

> I think bundling these two changes (and I think I might have been the one
> that originally suggested it) is making this discussion harder than it needs
> to be as folks are having to fight on multiple different fronts at once. I
> think the change to the default behavior of pip install is dependent on the
> change to —upgrade, so I suggest we focus on the change to —upgrade first,
> changing from a “recursive” to a “conservative” strategy. Once we get that
> change figured out and landed then we can worry about what to do with pip
> install.
>
> I’m not going to repeat the entire post, but I just made a fairly lengthy
> comment at https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/3786#issuecomment-228611906
> but to try and boil it down to a few points:
>
> * ``pip install —upgrade`` is not a good security mechanism, relying on it
> is inconsistent at best. If we want to support trying to keep people on
> secure versions of software we need a better mechanism than this anyways, so
> we shouldn’t let it influence our choice here.
> * For the general case, it’s not going to matter a lot which way we go, but
> not upgrading has the greatest chance of not breaking *already installed
> software*.
> * For the hard-to-upgrade case, the current behavior is so bad that people
> are outright attempting to subvert the way pip typically behaviors, *AND*
> advocating for other’s to do the same, in an attempt to escape that
> behavior. I think that this is not a good place to be in.

I wonder whether it is worth going back to the proposal [1] to add

pip upgrade

To anyone who hasn't read [1], this would have the behavior proposed
(always upgrades named packages, does not do recursive upgrade).
Meanwhile `pip install` stays as is, but deprecates the `--upgrade`
flag in favor of the new command.

The cost of the new command, that duplicates some behavior of
`install` - seems rather small - and we could always deprecate it
later, once people had got used the new behavior.

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] https://gist.github.com/pradyunsg/4c9db6a212239fee69b429c96cdc3d73#add-a-pip-upgrade-command