[Distutils] Proposal: "Install and save"

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 09:56:34 EDT 2016

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 11:32 PM, Alex Grönholm
<alex.gronholm at nextday.fi> wrote:
> I'm -1 on this because requirements.txt is not really the standard way to
> list dependencies.
> In the Python world, setup.py is the equivalent of Node's package.json. But
> as it is
> Python code, it cannot so easily be programmatically modified.

For other packages, yes; what about for applications? How is a web
application to best say "I need Flask, and markdown, and SQLAlchemy"?
I'm willing to consider workflow changes (among other advantages, they
don't have to wait until the new pip gets pushed out to everyone).

ChrisA