[Distutils] PEP 513: A Platform Tag for Portable Linux Built Distributions Version

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Jan 27 15:47:52 EST 2016

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 at 14:36 Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Robert T. McGibbon <rmcgibbo at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I agree that this is an important detail. I generally use machines that
>> have
>> > many different Python interpreters installed (some distro-provided and
>> > others in my home directory), and can easily imagine wanting them to
>> have
>> > different behavior w.r.t. manylinux1 wheels.
>> >
>> > Perhaps the option could be put in site.py, or somewhere in
>> > lib/pythonX.Y/configX.Y/? I'm not sure what the appropriate solution
>> here
>> > is.
>>
>> On further thought, the site.py solution has sorta grown on me...
>>

> What if someone runs Python with `-S`?

This would only matter if someone ran 'python -S -m pip', since pip is the
only thing whose behavior would be affected by being able to see/not-see
the special flag. Except of course 'python -S -m pip' doesn't work, because
-S disables access to all non-stdlib packages, including pip (you just get
"No module named pip"). Someone could make it work with sufficient brute
force (e.g. manually manipulating $PYTHONPATH to point to pip), but I think
at that point it can be assumed that they don't want our help anyway...

Also if a distributor is really worried, then they could set the flag via
some mechanism other than modifying site.py/sitecustomize.py -- in the
email you're replying to, site.py was just a metonym for the general idea
:-).

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- https://vorpus.org <http://vorpus.org>