[Distutils] PEP: Build system abstraction for pip/conda etc

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Jan 26 20:08:40 EST 2016

As many know there has been an effort to get a generalized interface that a build system can implement so that we can break the hard dependency on setuptools that Python packaging currently has. After a lot of deliberation and threads back and forth (as well as video meetings!) I think that the version of the PEP that is currently on the PR in https://github.com/pypa/interoperability-peps/pull/54 looks like it’s generally the right thing to move forward with. I made a few little comments but overall I think it’s there and we’re ready to move forward on trying to get a reference implementation done that can validate the decisions made in that PEP (and then, hopefully finalize the PEP and merge those implementations).

So many thanks to everyone involved in hammering this out thus far :) I’m nervous but excited about the possibility of making setuptools just another build system.

Donald Stufft