[Distutils] draft PEP: manylinux1

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Jan 24 17:56:33 EST 2016

> On Jan 24, 2016, at 5:32 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> The one thing that does give me pause is that whenever we *do* decide
> to switch to manylinux2, then it's going to be a big drag to wait for
> a whole pip release/upgrade cycle -- Debian unstable is still shipping
> pip 1.5.6 (released May 2014) :-(. And when it comes to wheel
> compatibility tags and pip upgrades, the UX is really terrible: if pip
> is too old to recognize the provided .wheels, then it doesn't tell the
> user "hey, you should upgrade me" or otherwise provide some hint that
> there might be a trivial solution to this problem; instead it just
> silently downloads the source and attempts to build it (and quite
> often blows up after 30 pegging the CPU for 30 minutes or something).

Ever since 6.0 pip now implicitly warns users on every invocation if
there is a newer version of pip available on PyPI (assuming they are
not in some constrained environment that cannot access pypi.python.og).

I fully expect Debian to upgrade to pip 8.0 in the near future in sid,
it obviously want make it back to Jesse though except via back ports. This
is mostly an outlier I think, pip 6+ really ramped up the number of things
that pip bundles, plus with it getting bundled with pip it created a bit
of a contentious situation with Debian. I believe that the excellent Barry
Warsaw is close to having that ironed out and pip 8.0 ready to land, and
future upgrades should be pretty painless.

Donald Stufft