[Distutils] Consumers that care about the contents of an sdist (was: abstract build system PEP update)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Feb 18 00:42:12 EST 2016

Nathaniel Smith <njs at vorpus.org> writes:

> Ah-ha, this is useful. The reason this hasn't been considered, at
> least in my proposal, is that I think this is the first I've heard
> that there is anything that cares about what's in an sdist besides
> setup.py :-).

Please know that OS distributions also very much care about the contents
of the sdist, because that's what the distributor claims is the
corresponding source for the distribution.

So they'll want to start from the sdist and build from that, to verify
the sdist constitutes the source.

--
 \        “The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact |
  `\    you'll ever have to confront. Don't dare ever see your life as |