[Distutils] Status update on the NumPy & SciPy vs SSE problem?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 06:22:32 EST 2016

While the manylinux PEP brings Linux up to comparable standing with
Windows and Mac OS X in terms of distributing wheel files through
PyPI, that does mean it still suffers from the same problem Windows
does in relation to NumPy and SciPy wheels: no standardisation of the
SSE capabilities of the machines.

I figured that was independent of the manylinux PEP (since it affects
Windows as well), but I'm also curious as to the current status (I
found a couple of apparently relevant threads on the NumPy list, but
figured it made more sense to just ask for an update rather than
trusting my Google-fu)

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. I'm assuming the existing ability to publish NumPy & SciPy wheels
for Mac OS X is based on Apple's tighter control of their hardware
platform.