[Distutils] Maintaining a curated set of Python packages

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:35:40 EST 2016

On Thursday, December 15, 2016, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 December 2016 at 00:39, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > Theoretically we could allow people to not just select packages, but also
> > package specifiers for their “curated package set”, so instead of saying
> > “requests”, you could say “requests~=2.12” or “requests==2.12.2”. If we
> > really wanted to get slick we could even provide a requirements.txt file
> > format, and have people able to install the entire set by doing something
> > like:
> >
> >     $ pip install -r
> > https://pypi.org/sets/dstufft/my-cool-set/requirements.txt
>
> CurseGaming provide addon managers for a variety of game addons
> (Warcraft, Minecraft, etc), and the ability to define "AddOn Packs" is
> one of the ways they make it useful to have an account on the site
> even if you don't publish any addons of your own. Even if you don't
> make them public, you can still use them to sync your addon sets
> between different machines.
>
> In the context of Python, where I can see this kind of thing being
> potentially useful is for folks to manage package sets that aren't
> necessarily coupled to any specific project, but match the way they
> *personally* work.
>
> - "These are the packages I like to have installed to --user"
> - "These are the packages I use to start a CLI app"
> - "These are the packages I use to start a web app"
> - etc...

Does a requirements.txt in a {git,} repo solve for this already?

A Collection contains (hasPart) CreativeWorks

- https://schema.org/Collection
- https://schema.org/hasPart

RDFa and JSONLD representations do parse as ordered lists.

SoftwarePackageCollection
SoftwareApplicationCollection

> It also provides a way for people to vote on projects that's a little
> more meaningful than stars - projects that appear in a lot of personal
> stack definitions are likely to be generally valuable (the closest
> equivalent to that today is mining code repositories like GitHub for
> requirements.txt files and seeing what people are using that way).

https://schema.org/InteractionCounter > https://schema.org/UserLikes

D: CreativeWork
- https://schema.org/interactionCount is now
- https://schema.org/interactionStatistic

(These are write-heavy features: they would change the database load of
Warehouse)