[Distutils] PEP 527 - Removing Un(der)used file types/extensions on PyPI

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Aug 25 11:46:03 EDT 2016

+sources of truth for a single version. Having multiple sdists often
times can
+account for strange bugs that only expose themselves based on which
sdist that
+the person used.

You may not be aware, but developers that work on both Windows
and Unix often have two sets of source code packages: one using
Windows line ends, the other using Unix ones.

The Windows ones can also include code which is only relevant
on Windows while the Unix one includes parts that are only used
on Unix, so having two sets (ZIP for Windows and .tar.gz for Unix)
is a natural way to distribute your source code for those two
target systems.

Standardizing on two sdist formats is fine, but artificially
limiting this to just one sdist upload removes useful
functionality.