[Distutils] greater compression on pypi?

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 11:12:08 EDT 2016

In the example setup.py would at least do the nested unzipping, but you
would not be able to patch before running setup.py. Also expect disruption
from future sdists that don't have setup.py. Both changes if implemented
would surely be opt-in per dist and would not break everything all at once.
Of course there would have to be a different #sha256= tag for a hash of the
uncompressed contents. The 'multiple versions with different compression
algorithms' idea assumes some consumers don't have .xz and would prefer the
.gz version for example. FYI zipfile in Python 3 supports lzma compression.