[Distutils] wheel including files it shouldn't

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed Apr 27 15:11:06 EDT 2016

On 04/27/2016 12:00 PM, Alex Grönholm wrote:

> The sdist should include all the source files, including tests and
> documentation. In binary distributions, however, they are just dead
> weight. Do you want the full documentation and test suites to be
> installed for every single dependency when you deploy your application?
> I sure don't.

That's makes a certain amount of sense.

It also raises some questions:

- are wheels a binary-only distribution?
   - if yes, we still have to use distutils to make source distributions?
   - if no, what are the commands to make source vs binary distributions?

- is this just a matter of a properly configured setup.py?
   - if yes, what is that configuration?

--
~Ethan~