[Distutils] Namespaces (was: The mypy package)

Alexander Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Sat Apr 16 13:00:32 EDT 2016

On 4/16/2016 12:53, Donald Stufft wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 2016, at 12:42 PM, Alexander Walters <tritium-list at sdamon.com> wrote:
>>
>> Another solution like adding namespaces to pypi sounds better to me... but then I think about the nightmare of implementing that in a backwards compatible way.
> We already have namespacing sort of, people can make something like dstufft.mypy and that works fine. The main thing that doesn’t exist is there’s no way to claim an entire namespace to prevent someone else from taking something in your namespace.
>
> However, I don’t think most people really want that, people like having shorter names that aren’t tied to a specific namespace generally.

> Donald Stufft
> PGP: 0x6E3CBCE93372DCFA // 7C6B 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372 DCFA

My thought when I made that suggestion (which I already dismissed as a
nightmare for you brave souls who provide the index free of charge...
thank you) was less in the realm of 'tritium.mypackage', where a user
would claim their package namespace for all their code, but more along
the lines of 'django/my.super.cool.app' or 'flask/my_extension' or
'qa/mypy' and 'qa/flake8' - curated (or open...) namespaces of related
packages.