[Distutils] pip install -e foo (without Repo URL)

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Fri Apr 15 06:05:53 EDT 2016

Am 14.04.2016 um 14:31 schrieb Ian Cordasco:

> On Apr 14, 2016 2:20 AM, "Thomas Güttler" <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de <mailto:guettliml at thomas-guettler.de>> wrote:
>  >
>  > I think it would be very cool if you could install a package editable
>  > without the repo-url.
>  >
>  > The default repo-url can be defined in the meta-data of the package.
>  >
>  > Background: I came across this becaus saltstack prefers the branch "develop", but
>  > most other repos use the branch "master".
>  >
>  > Yes, this is no big problem. I figured out the right repo url soon.
>  >
>  > Next use case: you use software third-party-foo-lib in your project.
>  > Up to now you use it as package. You find a bug and want to fix it.
>  > Wouldn't it be great if you could just type "pip install -e third-party-foo-lib"
>  > and now you are read to create pull requests?
>
> I don't understand how this makes me ready to submit pull requests. Can you explain a little more?

This:

  pip install -e third-party-foo-lib

should be the same as:

  pip install -e git+https://..../@mydevbranch#egg=third-party-foo-lib

And the information needed to build the URL (in above example git+https://..../@mydevbranch)
should be provided by setup.py.

Result: you have an editable checkout.

You are right, pull requests most often need a fork first. This is far out of scope.

But for custom (non public) projects hosted in a corporate lan, you get a ready-to-push
checkout.

Is this enough explanation? Please ask if you have further question.

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/