[Distutils] Working toward Linux wheel support

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 18:40:07 CEST 2015

MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH[-rev] would be helpful for these  (and other) PEPs.

On Sep 7, 2015 10:36 AM, "Marcus Smith" <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still unclear on whether you'd want A or B:
>
> A) Different major/minor versions of the spec are different documents

>From http://semver.org Semantic Versioning 2.0 :

```
Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:

- MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
- MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible
manner, and
- PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.

Additional labels for pre-release and build metadata are available as
extensions to the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH format.
```

> B) Different versions of the spec are tags or branches of the same
document

>From http://docs.openstack.org/developer/pbr/semver.html :

```
*Linux/Python Compatible Semantic Versioning 3.0.0*

This is a fork of Semantic Versioning 2.0. The specific changes have to do
with the format of pre-release and build labels, specifically to make them
not confusing when co-existing with Linux distribution packaging and Python
packaging. Inspiration for the format of the pre-release and build labels
came from Python’s PEP440.

*Changes vs **SemVer** 2.0**¶*
<http://docs.openstack.org/developer/pbr/semver.html#changes-vs-semver-2-0>

dev versions are defined. These are extremely useful when dealing with CI
and CD systems when ‘every commit is a release’ is not feasible.All
versions have been made PEP-440 compatible, because of our deep roots in
Python. Pre-release versions are now separated by . not -, and use a/b/c
rather than alpha/beta etc.
```

Something like v1.0.01-eb4df7f[-linux64] would have greater traceability.

> If it's B, then you'd either:
> 1) only build the latest version, and construct an index of links to the
unrendered old versions in vcs history
> 2) use a custom build/publishing worflow that pulls versions out of
history so they can be built as peers in the published version

#. TBH I'm more concerned about determining downstream tool support from
MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH
(The PEP workflow is probably fine; I think there is need for  better
versioning under one heading).

https://read-the-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/user-defined-redirects.html#page-redirects