[Distutils] Please don't impose additional barriers to participation

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 16:12:11 EDT 2015

On 28 October 2015 at 18:44, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> On October 28, 2015 at 2:42:19 PM, Paul Moore (p.f.moore at gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>> [1] If I'm supposed to be getting notifications for comments on the PR
>> (as a member of the PyPA group, shouldn't I be?) then it's not
>> happening... I know I can subscribe to the PR, but I'm not clear why I
>> should need to - I don't for pip issues, for instance...
>
> You’re probably not directly subscribed to that repo, there should be a follow button on https://github.com/pypa/interoperability-peps. You got it automatically for pip because you were explicitly added as a committer on the pip repo.

No subscribe button that I can see on the repo. I could subscribe on a
per-issue basis, but that's a bit different.

Note - I'm actually not sure I *want* to be subscribing to issue
updates like this in any case - it'd be more email filters to file the
messages, more management of email groups, etc.

If people *really* want to discuss on the PR, why not subscribe
distutils-sig to the PR, so that list members can contribute to the
discussion as well? (That's actually probably a bad idea, because the
differences between mailing list etiquette and PR discussion etiquette
are pretty big - but that's sort of my point, I *prefer* the mailing
list format for PEP discussions, and I don't think I'm the only
one...)

Paul