[Distutils] Remove distutils, was: red, green, refactor ...

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Thu Oct 22 11:52:50 EDT 2015

Am 21.10.2015 um 17:29 schrieb Daniel Holth:
> The strategy that we are successfully pursuing is to standardize around file formats that the build tools generate and the installers and runtime can consume.
> For example we can convert a setuptools egg or a bdist_wininst .exe to a wheel, and in the future we will be able to convert e-mail style PKG-INFO to json.
> It's much easier to test whether a tool is producing correct metadata than to decide whether the API is compatible.

I don't see any reason to convert a setuptools egg or a bdist_wininst .exe to a wheel.

Why should this be done?

The egg is something created from sources.

Why not create the wheel from the sources?

It is like SRPM (source RPMs). I never understood why they exist. Why
not create the target from the sources?

Regards,
  Thomas

--