[Distutils] Towards a simple and standard sdist format that isn't intertwined with distutils

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 16:54:43 CEST 2015

On Oct 8, 2015 8:34 AM, "Ionel Cristian Mărieș" <contact at ionelmc.ro> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>>
>> One of the features in the original PEP was the ability to produce
multiple
>> different Wheels from the same source release much like how Debian does.
e.g.
>> numpy-1.0.newsdistthing could produce numpy-pyopenblas-12.6.whl and
>> numpy-mkl-7.8.whl, etc etc where there would be a bunch of
names/versions that
>> would differ from the name/version of the original sdist thing that was
being
>> proposed.
>

> ​Sorry if this sounds obtuse but isn't that useless overspecialization?
They can just publish `numpy-mlk` and `numpy-​thatblas` or whatever on
PyPI, and that will even work better when it comes to dependencies. I mean,
if you build something for `numpy-mkl` then it wouldn't work on a
`numpy-otherblas` anyway right?

from a reproducibility standpoint,
when I run e.g. pip freeze,
how (without e.g. numpy-mkl, numpy-blas3k) do I reinstall the same package?

* { } URI params, post-#frag=ment encoding?
* {+1} prefix-[suffix]

how do I install the same version of the package that [you had / this
Jupyter notebook has (version_information, watermark)] on [your / their]
machine?