[Distutils] The future of invoking pip

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Nov 7 19:22:04 EST 2015

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 19:16:55 -0500
Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> The largest problem comes when ``python`` and ``pip`` disagree about which Python is being invoked.

As a said, this is a problem for package managers and distributions.
"pip" isn't the only affected command, e.g. "pydoc" is as well.

> What should the command be to install into PyPy 2.4.0?

If you are using a virtualenv (or a conda environment, assuming you
did a conda package for pypy), just "pip".

> What if someone has /usr/bin/python2.7
> and /usr/bin/pip2.7 and they then install another Python 2.7
> into /usr/local/bin/python2.7 but they don’t have pip installed there?

Why wouldn't they? I thought the plan is to have "pip" bundled with
every recent Python version? AFAIR someone even said it was a bug if pip
wasn't installed together with Python...

Regards

Antoine.