[Distutils] Dynamic linking between Python modules

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu May 21 21:26:16 CEST 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Jonathan Helmus <jjhelmus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> it sounds like a tool that is capable of converting between conda
> packages and wheel files

converting from a wheel to a conda package should be very doable (and may
already be done). But the other way around is not -- conda packages can
hold a superset of what wheels can hold -- i.e. stuff outside of python.

Now that I think about it, it may seem kludgy, but conda packages can be
built from wheel right now, with no special tools. A conda recipe that
simply installs a wheel in it's build script would do just that.

I'm still a bit confused about the role of wheel here. Why build a wheel,
jsut so you can go install it, rather than simply install the package
directly?

I'm not sure it matters in this context, but I don't get the point.

Though now that I think about it, that's exactly what conda does -- if you
want to install a package from a conda build recipe -- you build a conda
package, and then install that. That may be required to support some stuff
conda supports -- for instance, conda install can re-write paths to shared
libs, for instance.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov