[Distutils] Dynamic linking between Python modules (was: Beyond wheels 1.0: helping downstream, FHS and more)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue May 19 01:43:54 CEST 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 May 2015 at 18:50, David Mertz <dmertz at continuum.io> wrote:
> >   % pip install conda
> >   % conda install scientific_stuff
> >   % conda install --sdist django_widget   # we know to look on PyPI
>
> But that doesn't give (Windows, mainly) users a solution for things
> that need a C compiler, but aren't provided as conda packages.

Conda provides (or can) a C compiler (some versions of gcc). It was buggy
last time I checked, but it's doable.

> My honest view is that unless conda is intending to replace pip and
> wheel totally, you cannot assume that people will be happy to use
> conda alongside pip (or indeed, use any pair of independent packaging
> tools together - people typically want one unified solution). And if
> the scientific community stops working towards providing wheels for
> people without compilers "because you can use conda", there is going
> to be a proportion of the Python community that will lose out on some
> great tools as a result.

Exactly -- this idea that there are two (or more) non-overlapping
communities is pretty destructive.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov