[Distutils] PyPI is a sick sick hoarder

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri May 15 21:24:04 CEST 2015

Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> writes:

> > On May 15, 2015, at 2:57 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> >
> > If folk consider PyPI a sort of historical archive then perhaps we
> > could have a feature to select 'supported' versions by the author,
> > and allow a query parameter to ask for all the versions.
> >

> It’s common for deployments people have to use a requirements.txt file
> like ``foo==1.0`` and to just continue to pull from PyPI. Deleting the
> old files breaks anyone doing that, so it would require either having
> people bundle their deps in their repositories or some way to get at
> those old versions. Personally I think that we shouldn’t go deleting
> the old versions or encouraging people to do that.

Yes, it's common to consider PyPI as a repository of all versions ever
released, and to treat it as an archive whose URLs will continue to make
available the historical versions.

--
 \         “If history and science have taught us anything, it is that |
  `\     passion and desire are not the same as truth.” —E. O. Wilson, |