[Distutils] PyPA Announcements & Twitter

Randy Syring randy at thesyrings.us
Mon Jan 26 17:33:53 CET 2015

On 01/26/2015 06:54 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> I also had a look at the current contents of the python-announce list,
> and I suspect even that would be a bit high volume if we had
> significant PyPI and core packaging toolchain announcements
> intermingled with the other existing announcements related to
> conferences and various popular Python packages.

FWIW, I did the same and ended up where you did.

> So a packaging toolchain specific changelog/announcement channel
> likely makes sense.

Based on another of Nick's posts, it seems like this mailing list would
want to include "significant" news/announcements for the following areas:

  * PyPI-the-service
  * PyPI-the-software-project
  * PyPA-the-ecosystem

IMO, these areas are often linked and someone who is interested in one
of them is likely interested in the others or, at least, not very
annoyed at the prospect of seeing announcements related to them.

So, setting up the list and the twitter connection is likely pretty
easy.  However, it won't work unless those who are doing the work in
these areas are willing to "flag" the changes happening that need to be
communicated on the packaging-announce list.  Who would those people be
and do they like this idea enough to be willing to support it?  Is there
some kind of PyPA board or committee that would need to be a part of
this decision?

*Randy Syring*
Husband | Father | Redeemed Sinner

/"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world
and forfeit his soul?" (Mark 8:36 ESV)/