[Distutils] Documenting the Distutils sdist format (was: Python module for use in ‘setup.py’ but not to install)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 17:14:29 CET 2015

On 19 January 2015 at 17:45, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> If you'd like to volunteer for the task of reverse engineering and
>> properly documenting how sdists work (with regression tests!), that
>> would be quite awesome. Not necessarily *fun* from your point of view,
>> but definitely awesome from my point of view :)
>
> I'll embark on that work and see how far I get. Thanks for identifying
> that as a desirable area to work on.
>
> The contribution will be licensed under Apache License version 2.0
> equally to all recipients (i.e. not signing a PSF-specific agreement).
> Is there a way that can be accepted?

Yes, the CLA is only necessary for CPython and the standard library
itself, courtesy of the fun history with CNRI that currently requires
relicensing of contributions to a Python specific license.

For projects under the PyPA banner, including packaging.python.org,
license in = license out is fine. That text is CC-BY-SA, so including
Apache Licensed text shouldn't pose any problems.

Cheers,
Nick.