[Distutils] oneget python provider?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:55:20 CET 2015

On 14 January 2015 at 09:28, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> See https://github.com/OneGet/oneget/wiki/cmdlets for some hint on how
>> to use it from its directory once extracted.
>
> Cool, thanks. I'll take a look.

Neat - it seems to work on Win7, which is great. But I note:

>find-package Python
WARNING: MSG:ProviderSwidtagUnavailable

Name                                          Version      Status
 ProviderName     Source           Summary
----                                          -------      ------
 ------------     ------           -------
python                                        3.4.2        Available
 Chocolatey       chocolatey       Python is a programming language
that let...

That seems odd for a number of reasons:

1. I have Python 2.6.6, 2.7.8, 3.3.5 and 3.4.1 installed already.
Should it not be showing them (so I know not to install the above
blindly)? OK, get-package shows me, maybe there's a validation step I
missed that won't let me overwrite what I have without confirmation
(I'm not keen on trying an install to see what happens!)
2. It's not clear whether the above is the 32-bit or the 64-bit version.

If I do find-package Python AllVersions, I get

Version
-------
2.7.2
2.7.2.1
2.7.3
2.7.4
2.7.5
2.7.6
3.4.0
3.4.0.20140321
3.4.1
3.4.1.20140610
3.4.1.20141004
3.4.2

(only the versions, to make it paste properly). Still no indication of
32-bit vs 64-bit, multiple versions of some of the Python versions
(e.g., 3.4.1).

I suspect this is a complaint about Chocolatey rather than OneGet, and
it's way off-topic for distutils-sig anyway, but I'd be reluctant to
recommend OneGet to Python users until it's much simpler to get a
clear understanding of what you're installing.

One thought - before looking at a pip provider for OneGet, I'd rather
look at what's involved in properly exposing the official python.org
installers through OneGet. It *would* be nice if we could say to
people "just do Install-Package Python 3.4" to get the latest release
of Python 3.4 automatically installed" and know they were getting the
official python.org build appropriate to their architecture (x86 or
amd64). Chocolatey is fine, but I wouldn't want to blindly trust them
by default...

Paul.