[Distutils] namespace_package

KP patter001 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:29:13 EST 2015

Just to recap:

1. if you don't put namespace_packages in the setup.py, then it will
uninstall the shared __init__.py when you uninstall any of the packages
2. If you put namespace_packages, then there is a pth file created for the
shared directory (site-packages/foo) and no foo/__init__.py is created
(even if it is in your package)
#2 - breaks things like : doing a source checkout that participates in this
namespace_package...If you do this then only the
lib/site-packages/foo/<modules> are importable

Solution appears to be: