[Distutils] Reviving PEP 470 - Removing External Hosting support on PyPI

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Aug 27 14:47:54 CEST 2015

On August 27, 2015 at 8:19:25 AM, Paul Moore (p.f.moore at gmail.com) wrote:

> Just for perspective, I didn't read that section as prioritising US
> users or authors in any way. It does reflect the reality that PyPI is
> hosted in the US, but I think it's both fair and necessary to point
> that out and explain the implications.

Right, and the reality is also that the only people who are currently working on it consistently (ever since Richard has stepped back to pursue things more interesting to him) are also based in the US. Basically just me with occasional contributions from other people, but primarily me. I don’t have metrics on legacy PyPI because it’s in Mercurial, but you can explore Stacklytics [1][2] for Warehouse.

> It may be that the comment "If someone for whom the issue of data
> sovereignty matters to them wishes to put forth the effort..."
> reflects a little too much your frustration with not being able to get
> anywhere with a solution to this issue. Maybe rephrase that as
> something along the lines of "The data sovereignty issue will need to
> be addressed by someone with an understanding of the restrictions and
> constraints involved. As the author of this PEP does not have that
> expertise, it should be addressed in a separate PEP”?

Thanks, I’ve switched to your suggested wording [3].

[1] http://stackalytics.com/?release=all&project_type=pypa-group&metric=loc&module=warehouse
[2] http://stackalytics.com/?release=all&project_type=pypa-group&metric=commits&module=warehouse
[3] https://hg.python.org/peps/rev/6c8a8f29a798