[Distutils] Query about serial module installation

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Apr 29 22:32:51 CEST 2015

Hi, welcome to Python.

This list is about how to install programs written in Python - as a
matter of respect for the time of the other folk here, we can't really
discuss the issue you've had.

But - I can hopefully point you in a useful direction:

You might find https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers
useful if you already know how to program, or
https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers if you do
not already know how to program.

At a guess, the specific issue you are facing is a
bytestring/textstring difference - you can find more out about those
through the links above.

HTH,
Rob

On 30 April 2015 at 05:24, Shamsudheen Padath <shamsu.p007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been trying to communicate through my usb port through as part of my
> project work. For this I have usb to serial converter installed in my
> system. I am working on python 3.4.3 and installed the serial module
> pyserial-2.7.win32_py3k.exe downloaded from www.pyhton.org/. My OS is 64 bit
> MS Windows 8.1. The trial programme i have been trying is
>
> import serial
> ser = serial.Serial(5)
> print (ser.portstr)
> ser.write("hello")
> ser.close()
>
> and this produces an error message
>
> COM6
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Users\shamsu\Desktop\ff.py", line 4, in <module>
>     ser.write("hello")      # write a string
>   File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 283, in
> write
>     data = to_bytes(data)
>   File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\serial\serialutil.py", line 76, in
> to_bytes
>     b.append(item)  # this one handles int and str for our emulation and
> ints for Python 3.x
> TypeError: an integer is required
>
> As a newer to the Python  i couldn't what the problem is and got stuck on
> it.
> Expecting a solution to my problem.
>
> Shamsudheen p

Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>