[Distutils] additional paths in wheel

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 4 20:43:33 CEST 2014

> Provide a mechanism for recording the actual paths used
> during installation (in wheel.json).

Well, there is already a list of paths used which is used during
uninstallation (RECORD). It would make sense to record all the
installed files there, and no reason to duplicate that elsewhere.

In general, IMO importable (executable) Python files should be
avoided for this kind of use case - JSON files in the .dist-info
would be better. We see from the .pth file and setup.py examples
that executable Python for these types of usages can be a bit of
a double-edged sword.

Possibly we should replace RECORD, etc. with JSON equivalents
(to be neat and tidy).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip