[Distutils] wheels or system packages for pip on ubuntu

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 4 18:58:31 CEST 2014

On Sep 03, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Reinout van Rees wrote:

>All of them have ubuntu packages, but especially for gdal we sometimes need a
>newer version. A PPA can help here, but I thought "a wheel could be nice,
>too".

In many cases, it mostly takes an interested person to get Ubuntu and Debian
packages updated.  Generally it's best to get the latest versions in Debian
first (and that may be easy or hard depending on the maintainership of the
package), and then sync or merge the newer Debian versions into Ubuntu.
Looking quickly at gdal, I can see that Ubuntu carries some deltas over
Debian, but I haven't looked at the details.  It would take some evaluation
as to whether the Ubuntu deltas can be dropped or need to be merged.

#debian-python on OTFC or the debian-python mailing lists are good places to
start about getting some help with the packages you care about.

Cheers,
-Barry