[Distutils] PyPI download issues from Rackspace Cloud

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Jan 14 12:55:46 CET 2014

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:38:09AM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> My experimental code: https://gist.github.com/mgedmin/7637559
>
> I now have two Wireshark pcap files of two SSL conversations: one
> failed, one successful.  It's a bit beyond my skills to analyze them.
> I think the server did send everything (I see a TLSv1 Application Data
> record of size 5654, which looks like the final chunk), but Wireshark
> marks it as [TCP Out-Of-Order], and then there are some
> desperate-looking [TCP Retransmission] packets at the end.
>
> (Incidentally, the captured download was truncated at 1303669
> bytes -- i.e. it was missing the last three TLS application data chunks
> of 8000, 8000 and 5634 bytes.)
>
> Given that Firefox/curl seem to be able to download PyPI packages over
> HTTPS without problems, I'd be inclined to blame it on a bug in the
> CPython's ssl module, maybe.  But doesn't Requests use it too?

I never got to the bottom of this.

I upgraded pip to 1.5 (painfully -- had to download the .tar.gz with
curl, then use python -m pip install -U pip*.tar.gz to upgrade) and
these SSL download errors disappeared.

Marius Gedminas
--
"Actually, the Singularity seems rather useful in the entire work avoidance
field. "I _could_ write up that report now but if I put it off, I may well