[Distutils] PyPI classifier for standard library modules/backports?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 2 15:37:55 CET 2014

On Thu, 2/1/14, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dariusz Suchojad suggested it might be easier if there was a
> suitable classifier to mark such modules rather than trying to keep a
> list on the wiki up to date by hand. Perhaps something like
> "Progamming Language :: Python :: Standard Library"?

I think it makes sense to have

"Progamming Language :: Python :: Backport"

and

"Progamming Language :: Python :: Backport :: Standard Library"

While we're on the subject of classifiers, IMO it would also be helpful to be able to identify (the growing number of) projects which are 2 and 3 compatible without the need for 2to3 to be run. So perhaps

"Progamming Language :: Python :: Python2and3"

or some such.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip