[Distutils] restart-in-venv

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 16:10:14 CET 2014

On 5 February 2014 01:00, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> As I said above, distil respects venv isolation: if a venv is
> isolated from system site-packages, then distil code run with -e
> can't see system site-packages, automatically, without any
> "careful ensuring" being necessary. So from what I can see, your
> argument is based on an imperfect understanding of how distil
> works. If you'd like to understand it better I'll provide the support,
> but if you don't want to or can't do that - well, that's a shame, but
> such is life :-)

So now we're back to the point Daniel (I believe) made of "hey, if you
restrict yourself to a single file script or a zip archive with a
__main__.py, you don't need to install it before running it"? Well
yes, that's how Python works.

So what you're really arguing for is for pip to become a single file
executable like distil, and deal with the consequences of cert file
unpacking, etc. Somehow, I don't see that getting anywhere near the
top of anyone's priority list any time soon.

Regards,
Nick.