[Distutils] Local version identifiers from PEP 440 in practice

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Dec 17 01:05:59 CET 2014

> On Dec 16, 2014, at 6:53 PM, Maurits van Rees <m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl> wrote:
>
> <words>

Yea, it’s unfortunate that local versions don’t work prior to setuptools 8.0, but the
older versions more or less escape everything that’s not alpha numeric and . and - to
the - character so there’s only so much we can do with that.

It’s correct that existing versions of pip do not support any new syntax with PEP 440,
that will be part of pip 6.0 which I’m hoping to release this week. We were waiting on
setuptools 8 to release with PEP 440 support and now we’re just making sure that setuptools
is calmed down before releasing a pip 6.0.

I agree with Paul, please file a bug for the local versions not working, they _should_
work and it should be a release blocker for 6.0.

---
Donald Stufft