[Distutils] Round 6 - PEP 440 - Version Identification and Dependency Specification Version

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 03:00:28 CEST 2014

On 17 August 2014 02:11, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> It’s not a preferred separator, it’s use is mostly because of various
> normalization schemes, particularly Wheel, which will convert a ``-`` to a
> `` _`` in the version. Right now pip considers them equal because it was
> causing some breakage with Wheels. This rationale should probably be given
> in the PEP though.
>
> The original bug report in pip for this was
> https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1150.

Donald, I've added this to the list at
https://bitbucket.org/pypa/pypi-metadata-formats/issue/49/address-pep-440-v6-feedback
(the comments from Marcus and Paul were already noted).

If you could prepare a patch to clarify those, we can get it merged
and published, and I'll accept the PEP. (Since they're just
clarifications rather than real changes, I'm actually prepared to
accept the PEP now, but I don't believe there's any pressing need for
urgency on that front - may as well get the clarifications in first)

Thanks for all your work in finally bringing this to fruition, as well
as to all those who contributed to the long migration from the
original CPAN style versioning to an approach more in line with the
Zen of Python :)

Cheers,
Nick.