[Distutils] unparseable sdist filenames

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 22:00:21 CEST 2013

> > what's the right answer?
>
> IMO it should be ignored, i.e. be rejected as a candidate for installation.
> (If pointing pip to the local file it's different of course).
> This particular name isn't a real-life use case, is it?

the real life issue that motivated this is
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1192
what we discovered was that pip was allowing 'pytest-xdist' archives to
fulfill a pytest requirement.

to fix it, I was going to start using distlib's split_filename, but then
noticed it didn't accept "dev" as a version, and one of pip's tests were
failing as a result (which was specifically confirming pip could install
"dev" versions)

Vinay has just pushed an update to split_filename to handle the dev case
(and others)
https://bitbucket.org/pypa/distlib/commits/22c38563185bf13bfd267efc88d147a51e9880e3